Wednesday, October 06, 2010

'To pray effectively, you have to access the subconscious mind'


COLUMN: SPIRITUAL MATTERS

Dr. D. Purushothaman says that when prayer requests are sent directly to the subconscious mind, it usually bears fruit

By Shevlin Sebastian

“For most people their prayers are rarely answered by God,” says Dr. D. Purushothaman, Director of the Centre for Human Perfection, Kollam. “There is a reason for this. They don’t pray from the subconscious mind, which is far more foreceful than the conscious mind.”

Purushothaman says that in the human brain, the conscious constitutes only 5 per cent, while the subconscious is 95 per cent. “The subconscious is a powerhouse,” he says.

In daily life, one of the best moments to access the subconscious mind is when we are about to awaken or go to sleep. “That is when the conscious mind is passive, and the subconscious becomes very active,” says Purushothaman. “Because of this, I have changed the timing of my prayers. It is now in the early mornings or late at night. Unlike earlier times, when I would say my prayers in a puja room, I now pray while lying in bed.”

Purushothaman asks God for happiness, good health, and success for his various projects. “I say ‘Anandam Aham Anandam’: I am happiness. My real nature is happiness,” he says. “I ask the Almighty to bestow me with His blessings.”

And frequently God helps Purushothaman when he is in trouble. He remembers once going to Puttaparthi to see Sathya Sai Baba. “I landed at midnight at an unknown station,” he says. “It was deserted. I felt panicky and fearful. I did not know where to go.”

Suddenly, out of the darkness, a man emerged and asked Purushothaman where he wanted to go. “I told him and he took me to a place where there were several buses going to Puttaparthi,” says Purushothaman. “I am sure that God sent this person to help me and, because of Him, I was able to see Sai Baba.”

Purushothaman is also an admirer of Lord Krishna. “He is a God of action, one who believes in the law of karma, and is the embodiment of the unconditional love for humanity.”

Asked whether man needs God, Purushothaman says, “Human beings are a microcosm, while the Almighty is a macrocosm. That means we are part and parcel of God. So we definitely need God. Without Him, we are nothing.”

(The New Indian Express, Kerala)






No comments:

Post a Comment